CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation New Recruitment 2018
CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation is one of the leading and most diverse international civil society networks, with members and partners in more than 100 countries and a staff of 35 people from over 20 countries. CIVICUS implements a range of programmatic activities focusing on strengthening civil society and its role in governance and development worldwide. It also serves as a convener of global civil society leaders through its annual World Assembly.
Job Title: Operations Manager
Job Location: Johannesburg.
Cluster: Finance and Operations
Grade and Salary: D3
Contract Type: Two-year fixed term
Reports to: Chief Operating Office
Direct Reports: Yes
The Operations Manager will support improvements to systems and procedures, ensuring that they are fit for purpose and that programs operate with due regard to compliance, quality and consistency. The role would involve managing a complex and multi-faceted workload covering all key areas of operations within an international organisation. Working closely with the senior Leadership Team (SLT) cluster leads and budget holders in the design and implementation of operational systems ensuring compliance with organisational/donor/statutory policies, procedures and guidelines.
As part of the role the post holder will directly manager the in-house travel team and be responsible for managing the relationship between CIVICUS and the Travel Management Company (TMC) as well as ensuring that travelers have all the information required before and during their travel. The role participates in Health & Safety (SHIELD) initiatives of the Johannesburg Office (JHB Office).
- Governance and Operational Policies
- Develop, implement and updating (on-going) an operation manual for CIVICUS incorporating key operational policies and procedures to maintain a robust environment across the organisation.
- Develop, manage and enhance effective governance processes and systems
- Agree, communicate and review all CIVICUS operational policies and procedures in cooperation with the relevant stakeholders
- Create alignment of the above operational policies and procedures and identify opportunities for best practice to be applied across offices.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement new technology to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operational processes.
- Regularly monitor compliance with CIVICUS operational policies and where necessary recommend strategies for improvement
- Coordinate the production of an annual plan and budget for the JHB Hub and monitor office operating costs against this budget.
- Risk, Compliance and Finance
- Support the COO in assessing and managing the organisation’s risk and ensuring strategies are in place to mitigate them
- Work with the SLT to develop and implement compliance strategies to deal with problems before they jeopardise the organisational regulation or staff safety.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the organisation’s risk register
- Engage with legal and professional advisors to ensure that CIVICUS as an organisation always remains compliant
- Work closely with the Financial Manager ensuring that statutory returns are prepared and submitted in a timely manner
- Advise Cluster Leads and Project Managers on how to ensure that donor and organisation compliance is an integral part of their program delivery
- Carry out donor compliance training sessions with key staff
- Office Procurement and Asset Management
- Implement and monitor office procurement policies and procedures for JHB Office
- Negotiate and manage procurement of office services, suppliers and premises contracts for JHB
- Oversight of the relationship with all major suppliers (including the CIVICUS landlord/property management company, Travel Management Company, catering companies etc.) on operational issues
- Maintain service level agreements and monitor performance against these, taking improvement actions where necessary.
- Ensure effective procedures for booking, issuing and monitoring the use of furniture and equipment.
- Ensure that all office equipment is kept in good order and maintained regularly.
- People Management
- Build and mentor an effective team within the unit as well as with the wider Finance and Operations Cluster
- Conduct probation, performance management according to HR timelines ensuring high performing staff
- Monitoring the team’s performance against the agreed organisational standards and ensure the problems are identified and resolved
- Supporting both the professional and personal development of staff, ensuring they can be proactive on all matters thus maximising and integrating the effectiveness of the service they provide
- Health, Safety and Security (JHB)
- Actively participate on the SHIELD committee which looks at Health & Safety
- Promote and ensure that all health and safety measures are implemented, communicated and monitored.
- Premises/Facilities Management and Sustainability
- Oversee premises and lease management for JHB Office.
- Develop and promote a sustainability agenda for the JHB Office and if required develop/update an environmentally friendly policy for CIVICUS.
- Travel and Visitor Management
- Oversee the planning and management of international visitors, organising inductions and orientation visits for the JHB hub.
- Oversee and provide support for logistics and coordination of large events, meetings and conferences hosted by JHB hub.
- Establish a travel management system to track travel trends, carbon reporting, staff movement and cost management.
- Assess the standards of local accommodation and travel providers and manage these relationships to ensure high quality service and standards.
- Provide on-line advice to staff about travel documentation and health requirements.
- Ensure up to date Visitor’s Guides are in place for the JHB office and other offices if required.
- Relevant degree or diploma in Business Administration / Hospitality / Logistics Management or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to do the work.
- Fluent in written and verbal English and another language highly desirable
- Essential Knowledge, skills and Experience
- Substantial work experience in relevant sectors and context, ideally in an international not for profit organisation
- Experience of managing or supporting the delivery of large multi-year, multi-country grants funded programmes
- Substantial experience and knowledge of donor regulations and compliance requirements.
- A strong track record of successful leading projects with multiple work streams and a complex range of stakeholders
- Substantial experience of premises/property management, with associated responsibility for budgets and sound financial acumen.
- Substantial experience in administration, office management or related roles.
- Substantial experience of office management, including office automation and managing service providers.
- Experience in dealing with health and safety legislation in the South African context
- In depth understanding and experience of issues relating to organisational insurance provision.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a strong customer ethos.
- Ability to communicate well at all levels with a developed skill of tact and diplomacy.
- Excellent judgement an ability to think through different courses of action and make pragmatic, practical decisions
- High degree of computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft Excel, word and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in the team
- Approachable, authoritative with excellent listening and influencing skills. Able to hold the line when needed.
- Upholds ethics and values, acts with professionalism absolute integrity and clear personal values consistent with the CIVICUS mission and values
Desirable Knowledge, skills and Experience
- A working understanding of Carbon Accounting
- Experience in working with international NGOs
- Experience in a multi-cultural organisation
- Qualified Health and Safety Officer or First Aider
To apply, send your CV and motivation cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to high volumes of applications received, should you not have received feedback on your application within three weeks of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful. We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time.
Application Deadline: 31st August, 2018