Grassroot Soccer Ongoing Recruitment 2018
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is an innovative, international adolescent health organisation that educates, inspires and mobilises at-risk young people to overcome their greatest health challenges and live healthier, more productive lives. As a leader in the Sport for Development field, GRS uses the power of soccer to connect young people with the mentors, information and health services they need to thrive, and empowers adolescents to make educated choices about pressing health challenges such as HIV and AIDS, sexual and reproductive health and rights, and gender-based violence. GRS’s evidence-based programmes, led by trained local Coaches, incorporate soccer into dynamic lessons about health and wellness that engage young people and break down cultural barriers. With proven results and a constant focus on research and innovation, GRS has reached over 2 million young people in 50 countries with adolescent-friendly health education.
The Cape Town office houses staff from three business units, Grassroot Soccer Partnerships Team, Global Techncial Support Team and Grassroot Soccer South Africa.
Job Title: Finance and Operations Coordinator
Location: Cape Town
Supervisor: Director of Finance & Operations, Global – Lead (Remote)
Assistant Controller, Global – Secondary (Remote)
Managing Director of Global Partnerships – Onsite support
Employment Status: Full time, 1 year contract (Renewable)
The Finance and Operations Coordinator is a key member of the support team for GRS Cape Town operations and is accountable for ensuring that Cape Town based staff have the support and systems required to achieve our mission. The primary focus is handling day to day financial transactions in the office and coordinating the supporting functions of operations in order to maintain a highly cohesive and high-functioning unit. The Coordinator will be responsible for the Cape Town office finances by ensuring timely and accurate payment and entry into Pastel, as well as budget support, variance investigation and cash management.
This position will report to the Director of Finance and Operations, Global and will work closely with the Assistant Controller, Global as well as the Managing Director of Global Partnerships onsite to ensure Cape Town operational staff are meeting expectations and that the office is run efficiently and staff are held accountable.
- Coordinate the finance and accounting functions for the Cape Town office (under management of the US), including but not limited to cash and budget management, timely and accurate financial payments, reconciliations and reports, ensure adherance to government regulations and GRS’s internal controls and policies (procurement and operating processes) and safeguard the organization by mainting appropriate files.
- Ensure proper management of financial and other resources entrusted to GRS programmes and initiatives. Accountable for managing the Cape Town opertations budget.
- Maintain a proper bank balance so that payments are timely and department heads have the resources they need.
- Confirm adherance to the GRS procurement system by reviewing documention to veritfy validity and assure proper approval, budget and account coding prior to making payment.
- Lead financial reporting for Cape Town based staff, record activity in Pastel and reconcile accounts to ensure accurate monthly reporting to the finance team at GRS headquarters in the US. This includes reconciling vendor accounts, employee advance accounts and other balance sheet accounts as assigned.
- Monitor and review financial systems, controls and policies and procedures to ensure they are operating properly, are current, and align with GRS Global standards and donor requirements. (Do this in collaboration with the US finance office and local team, supporting SA sites in the Western Cape as needed).
- Raise concerns and red flags to the appropriate teams in a timely manner to ensure oversight and accountability to expenditures and reconciliations.
- Provide quality training and support services to the Cape Town office staff to ensure they effectively interpret and navigate the organization’s payment and other operational procedures.
- Manage and ensure financial record keeping (vendor files, consultant files, purchasing documents, fixed asset support and subsidiary ledgers) is appropriate and efficient.
- Work with the US Finance team to effectively spend, allocate, and report on all grant expenditures incurred in the Cape Town office.
- Support the annual audit process, organizational risk assessments, and the internal auditing and reconciliation function.
- Provide guidance and support to the Cape Town operations teams so that customer service to internal and external customers is coordinated, consistent and in line with GRS policy and procedures.
- Assist the operations team in managing and maintaining equipment and services, as well as vendors and supplier relations to ensure the office is operating efficiently.
- Provide support to the Cape Town Operations Intern on asset management to ensure assets are tracked, documented and replaced/budgeted for properly.
- Manage and oversee all regulatory reporting and liaise with relevant government departments related to organizational registration to ensure compliance.
- Maintain GRS Global’s fraud management and reporting system and ensure that staff are routinly trained on how and when to report fraud.
- Ensure GRS is properly insured and assist in coordinating insurance renewals and claims.
- Responsible for overseeing internal controls and procurement processes.
- Provide quality training and support services to the Cape Town staff to ensure they interpret and navigate the organization’s payment and other operational procedures correctly and efficiently.
- Ensure quality control for servicing external and internal customers, ensuring that systems are streamlined, efficient and timely.
- Assist the organization in maintaining governance documentation and reporting.
Human Resources and Administration
- Assist in the maintenance of the GRS Employee Guide, Finance Manual and HR Guidelines or other relevant manuals. Ensure policies are in line with South Africa Labour Relations Act and other government requirements.
- Ensure all staff have access to, are trained on, understand and follow all GRS policies in the Employee Guide.
- Support staff recruitment, onboarding, and annual performance reviews.
- Maintain all Cape Town staff HR files.
- Accountable for general office administration, including overseeing supply stock, office repairs/upgrades, internet connectivity, office security, vehicle use and tracking, etc.
Key Professional Experience
- Degree or Diploma in business management, finance, accounting, or other related discipline
- 2-5 years’ experience in accounting
- Experience in accounting and reporting for USAID/CDC-funded project or programs desired
- Proficiency in MS Office tools (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and e-mail
- Pastel Accounting software knowledge desired, data entry experience required
- Ability to work under pressure, as part of a team or independently, and meet deadlines consistently
- Strong financial management skill and experience
- Experience in effectively managing budgets
- Experience in effectively communicating with complex, diverse and remote teams
- Excellent command of English, with strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented with the ability to keep the broader picture in mind
- Ability to interact professionally with diverse groups especially in a cross-cultural environment
- Passion for and commitment to Grassroot Soccer’s mission
To Apply: Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Title the email “Finance and Operations Coordinator”. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: August 31, 2018